POP3 shutdown on April 30, 2020
On April 30, we will turn off the POP3 protocol on both insis.vse.cz and Office 365. The reasons are security (many attempts to guess/verify passwords) and low use of this protocol (lower dozens of users).
POP3 users in Office 365 can instead choose from the following substitution options:
- reading Office 365 mail through the web interface,
- reading mail through a mail client with Modern Authentication support, Outlook is recommended (for Windows, MacOS, or mobile operating systems),
- using an IMAP-enabled client, here I wish to emphasize that Microsoft is planning to limit the authentication method to oauth2, which most mail clients do not support,
- forwarding mail to another mail server.
POP3 users on InSIS.vse.cz have the following options instead:
- reading InSIS mail through the web interface,
- moving mailbox from InSIS to Office 365 and read the mail via web interface or mail client here (Outlook recommended),
- forwarding mail to another mail server,
- you may want to consider using IMAP protocol on InSIS, but I wish to stress that disabling IMAP may also happen.
Canceling services is always painful. I hope you will find a suitable alternative to POP3.